Guidelines & Office Procedures
- Marriage licenses are issued in the County Clerk's Office.
- The license is $35.50 payable by cash, credit or debit card (processing fee extra) or Henderson County Personal Check.
- The parties must provide government issued ID, drivers license (any state) or passport. Please note we will not accept expired identification.
- Both Parties shall appear together to review their information, take an oath and sign the license.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in Kentucky withing 30 days of purchasing the license.
- There is no waiting period or blood test required prior to issuance of a marriage license.
- Current Status of parties (Single, Divorced, Annulled, Widowed)
- Date of Birth and Current Age
- Father's Name
- Mother's Name
- Name and Address
- Number of previous marriages
- Occupations of Bride and Groom
- Place of Birth (city and state)
- Race of parties
- Whether parties are related (First cousins are not permitted to marry in Kentucky)
- Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry in Kentucky without a parental consent.
- Applicants 16 and 17 years old must be a county resident (longer than 6 months), provide copy of birth certificate and have parent or legal guardian appear with ID to sign consent.
- If parents are divorced, the custodial parent must provide divorce papers proving custody to sign consent.
- If someone other than the parent has custody Court papers must be provided
- No one under the age of 16 may be issued a license unless they are pregnant and have a District Court Judge issue a court order directing the Clerk to do so.
Note: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.