Marriage Licenses

  • Marriage licenses are issued in the County Clerk's Office.
  • The license is $35.00 payable by Cash, Credit or Debit Card (processing fee extra) or Henderson County Personal Check.
  • The parties must provide goverment issued ID, drivers license (any state) or passport. Please note we will not accept expired identification.
  • Both Parties shall appear together to review their information, take an oath and sign the license.
  • The marriage ceremony must be performed in Kentucky withing 30 days of purchasing the license.
  • There is no waiting period for blood test required prior to issuance of a marriage license.

Information Required:

  • Name and Address
  • Date of Birth and Current Age
  • Place of Birth (city and state)
  • Father's Name
  • Mother's Name
  • Current Status of parties (Single, Divorced, Annulled, Widowed)
  • Number of previous marriages
  • Occupations of Bride and Groom
  • Race of parties
  • Whether parties are related (First cousins are NOT permitted to marry in Kentucky)

Age Requirements

  • Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry in Kentucky without a parental consent.
  • Applicants 16 & 17 years old must be a county resident (longer than 6 months), provide copy of birth certificate and have parent or legal guardian appear with ID to sign consent.
  • If parents are divorced, the custodial parent must provide divorce papers proving custody to sign consent.
  • If someone other than the parent has custody Court papers must be provided
  • No one under the age of 16 may be issued a license unless they are pregnant and have a District Court Judge issue a court order directing the Clerk to do so.

NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Marriage Liceense FAQ

  • Q: Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?
  • A: No. You can apply anytime during office hours.

  • Q: Do I need to make an appointment to have a marriage cermony performed?
  • A: Our office does not perform the ceremony. IF you want the County Judge to perform your ceremony you should make an appointment with his office.

  • Q: Who may solemnize a marriage?
  • A: Ministers or priests in regular communion with any religious society; Judges, County Judges, Magistrages.

  • Q: Do ministers need to be bonded?
  • A: No. The law that required that was repealed in 1994.

  • Q: If we are getting married in another state, where do we get the license?
  • A: The license must be purchased in the state where the ceremony will be performed. A license issued in Kentucky must be used in Kentucky.

  • Q: If we were married out of the country, do we need to register in your office?
  • A: No. The country you were married in should send you its official certificate. The county Clerk's office only records licenses that it issues.

  • Q: How do I change my last name after I get married?
  • A: You will take the certified copy we mail you to the Social Security Office.

  • Q: Do I have to change my name?
  • A: No, but you still need to inform the Social Security Office of your marital status.

  • Q: Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?
  • A: At the Henderson Circuit Clerk's Office in the Judicial Center.

  • Q: Do I need to bring proof of my divorice?
  • A: No. You need to bring a valid government issued ID.

    Marriage License Application

  • Application for Marriage License (Fill it out and hit submit, it will be available when you arrive at the office.)
  • Copy Request Form