David Crafton was born and raised in Henderson County in the community of Cash Creek. He is married to Sue Gail Wilkerson and they have two daughters: Jessica and Sarah. David has dedicated his life to service in law enforcement and as your Sheriff will use his training and experience to keep Henderson County a safe place to live.
- Graduate Henderson County High School
- Associates Degree, Henderson Community College
- Bachelors Degree, Eastern Kentucky University, Major - Police Administration, Minor – Traffic Safety
- Kentucky Law Enforcement Council, Bureau of Training Academy, Class 121
- Kentucky State Police Academy, Class 59
- Kentucky Institute for International Studies, Spanish Immersion Program, Bowling Green, Ky & Morelia, Mexico
- FBI National Academy Class 256, Quantico, Virgina
Law Enforcement Experience
Henderson Police Department:
Kentucky State Police:
1982–84 Trooper Post 10, Harlan
1984–89 Trooper Post 16, Henderson
1989-97 Sergeant Special Response Team, Frankfort
1997 Squad Sergeant Post 12, Frankfort
1997–99 Administrative Sergeant Post 16, Henderson
1999–2004 Investigative Sergeant Post 16, Henderson
2004–05 Investigative Lieutenant Post 3, Bowling Green
2005- 08 Operations Lieutenant Post 16, Henderson
Henderson County Sheriff’s Office:
2008-21 Chief Deputy
6/21 – Present Sheriff
KSP Letters of Commendation
Sept. 1989 Hostage situation in Cave City, Ky.
Sept. 1989 Hostage situation at Jackson Co. High School in McKee, Ky.
Mar. 1991 Undercover drug smuggling operation in Hazard, Ky.
Dec. 1991 Specialized training given to ATF agents
Feb. 1992 Hostage situation in Somerset, Ky.
Mar. 1993 SRT presentation to students at Eastern Kentucky University
April 1993 Surveillance detail on drug operation in Owsley Co., Ky.
May 1993 Transport & security detail at murder trial in Clay Co., Ky.
June 1993 Apprehension of suspects during bank robbery attempt in Dry Ridge, Ky.
Sept. 1994 Barricaded subject in Laurel Co., Ky.
Feb. 1995 Court security detail in Lexington, Ky. during grand jury on Lexington Metro Police shooting
June 1995 Barricaded subject in Harlan Co., Ky.
June 1995 Search warrant service on underground marijuana processing operation
in Clinton Co., Ky.
April 1997 Kentucky ROLEX Event
Jan. 2001 Firearms Instruction at Kentucky State Police Academy
Aug. 2002 Drug Trafficking Investigation with FBI
Aug. 2003 Assisting with Trooper Island Camp for Hispanic children
Kentucky Law Enforcement Council Bureau of Training
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award
- Outstanding Physical Proficiency Award
Kentucky State Police
- Academy Class Salutation
- Driver’s Training Award
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Commissioner’s Commendation - Special Response Team Service
- Commissioner’s Commendation - Barricaded subject in Smith’s Grove, Ky.
- Commissioner’s Award - Hurricane Katrina Detail – New Orleans, La.
Henderson Lions Club
- Cub of the Year
- Lion of the Year
- Melvin Jones Fellow
Tri-County Council of Labor
- Association of Law Enforcement, EKU, Past Member
- Alpha Phi Sigma (National Criminal Justice Honor Society), Past Member
- National Tactical Officers Association, Past member
- Kentucky State Police Professional Association
- Kentucky State Police Retiree’s Organization
- Henderson City Lions Club, Board of Directors, Past President, Past Secretary
- FBI National Academy Associates
- Salvation Army Board of Directors